Enchilada Bowl Yield: 3 servings - Count each serving as 1 Protein and 2 Veggie Red Enchilada Sauce Recipe - Yield 8 servings each serving is ½ cup and count as 1 veggie
In skillet over medium heat cook chicken breasts until lightly brown (I cut each breast into 3 or 4 large pieces to cook faster)
Add enchilada sauce, chilis, onions, water and reduce heat to simmer, covered
Cover and cook until chicken is cooked through and shred chicken
Add chicken back into sauce and continue simmering for additional 10 minutes uncovered or until most of liquid has been soaked up
Steam the cauliflower rice and season
Yield 8 servings each serving is ½ cup and count as 1 veggie
Toast the chilis in a hot pan until fragrant. (about 10 to 15 seconds per side)
Allow chilis to cool and then remove stems, seeds, and veins.
Char the onion, tomatoes and garlic in a hot pan.
Place the chilis, onion, tomatoes, garlic oregano and marjoram in a pot with just enough water until the ingredients are almost covered.
Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
Simmer for 15 minutes to reconstitute the chilis and soften the veggies.
Blend the chilis, onion, tomatoes, garlic, oregano marjoram and the soaking water until smooth. It usually takes about a minute.
Add water little by little if necessary to blend. You may have to blend in two batches
Strain the mixture.
Add two tablespoons of cooking oil to a hot pan add the strained sauce to fry it.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
Add salt to taste.
Allow the sauce to sit for at least 2 hours so that the flavors meld.
Warm the sauce before serving
• The sauce is ready when it coats the back of a spoon.
• To runny? If it is a little runny and you need to thicken it just simmer until it has reduced the desired consistency.
• Too thick? If it is a little too thick, add water a couple of tablespoons at a time until it has reached the desired consistency.
• Too bitter? Add only one of the following to reduce bitterness: 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 to 2 teaspoons agave syrup.
• Use any neutral flavor cooking oil to fry.
• Serving size is about 1/2 cup per person.